Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > Digging Tools > What is the best tool and way of digging in parks?

Peter Gill
Site Owner

I have watched all the movies, and digging in the park seems to be done with a Lesche tool.... Seeing as I do not have one of those, what is the best way that you know to dig nicely with as little damage as possible?

--

God Bless

Peter

April 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Hi Peter, I use either one of these methods.

I have a cheap but sharp garden trowel. I dig straight down and make deep plugs, so as the wind, kicking and mowers dont pull my plugs out.  I can usually use my foot afterwards and stamp the edges down nicely.

I also use a flat head screwdriver and a pinpointer. I run all metal low power, and just scan the top 3 inches of the turf. I can usually pop the item out of the ground by making a "X" with the screwdriver, and using the pinpointer to tell me where the target is.

I go after events, as most stuff is right on top. Sometimes I use my foot and brush away loose dirt of grass and see if anything is on top. I also sometimes discriminate out everything but silver, but a gold ring will still ring at 3 inches.

If I have to, I find a gopher hole and get a bucket of dirt to fill my holes if needed. Using a small black place mat like you would set at the table helps with finds, and keeping all your dirt. You can also put your knees on it on hot ground, stickers, or rocks for padding.

If you want to cheat, you can usually purchase a black carbonate trowel for a buck at a hardware store, and you can fill it and run over your coil to id where the target is, usually for small targets.

You may already know all this, just some things I have taught myself..

Good Luck

PS. the low power thing works great for clearing an area by making many small passes at different depths. It helps control pulltabs, and target/depth ID if you have a machine like mine. My machine lies to me on a regular basis.

April 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Thanks John for this info.... You now have me thinking.... I like the idea of setting the power down so tht you only pick up the shallow stuff.... Like you say, this is great when detecting straight after an event of some sort,,,,,, I appreciate the info, I am going to practice this..... Thanks my friend..... 

--

God Bless

Peter

April 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Anytime. I lost my digger yesterday, but it was worth it. Now if I can figure out how to post videos.

April 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Would love to see some of your video's.....

--

God Bless

Peter

April 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Will have to get on it.

April 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.