Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > George

George Abraham

Hi

Complete beginner here.

Found Peter's YouTube video's looking for some clues on local terrains and success.

Was honest enough to lift my initial disappointment and to give me some encouragement.

Keeping everything I find as mileage did it for me.

I can see there are some good hands and minds in here.

April 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi George, if I can help you in anything, please just ask ;) I am now living in the UK but detected around Johannesburg for many years....

--

God Bless

Peter

April 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Abraham

I'm having a hard time to figure out where to go. I'm not to fond of public areas and don't know anyone who owns nice properties. Not to mention personal security.

If you still have some ideas on locations and perhaps who I can contact for permission that would be verry helpfull. I'd be happy to report back.

I terminally indured my budget and baught a Nokta detector. Looks horribly obnoxious in public but I think it might be just the thing for abandoned or open field relic hunting.

I keep being approached by Nigerian immegrants for some reason. :)

April 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Abraham

Will try Florida lake in Roodepoort tomorrow. Might have to do demonstrations all day. Wish me luck.

April 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

I lived in Westonaria, and around there are quite a lot of old house foundations which I used to search,,,,, But the best thing to do is to use Google maps / Earth and scan low around your area and look for places like foundations, empty house properties that look out of place,,, empty pieces of ground,,,,, There near Keywest is a fort on top of the hill, we searched around the field across th road from there..... Farm fields, although not as good will work.... I never did parks as you have to get a permit from the council to do them,,, I could not bother with that.... 90% of my sites which I searched are from Google Earth though.... I must admit, I was stopped by the police two times to see what I was up to, but was not stopped from detecting.... Other than that, always used to be left alone.... One thing I was going to do which I never did, was to look around the old areas of Johannesburg for possible good sites and then work them,,,,, Hope this helps you some.... Where are you living, maybe I can find some places for you.....?

--

God Bless

Peter

April 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Abraham

Yes. I'm still struggling getting through to City parks myself.

I live in Roodepoort horizonview.

Much appreciated.

April 6, 2013 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Abraham

Florida lake was fun. Found a a couple of 5 cent coins, 3 fishing eagle 2 cent coins, som lead, a BIG rusty nail, a weird square nail, some lead but the most bizarre was a Botswana coin. Only managed a relatively small area and no one gave me any notice even though the park was busy. Was a nice and layed back experience. Everyone sort of knew what I was doing contrary to my expectation. Will work my way round the area from time to time. There must be some old silver there somewhere.

We really don't like our 5cent coins that's a fact.

April 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hahahaha I always battled with the SA money especially the modern, it is crap,,,, I see the UK 1c is the same here,,, also rusts and bubbles :-) Try Google Earth, you will regret it,,, when I started detecting, I was also on my own,,,, Google Earth was the answer to me finding my sites, and slowly I just built up.... I will also look around your area for you buddy....

--

God Bless

Peter

April 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jimmyjohnsq

Among all the detecting activities, gold metal detecting is the most interesting one. We can not only relax both our mind and body , but also find a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time if you feel bored, you can pick up a gold metal detector  and have a try.

April 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.