Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > Metal Detectors & Extras. > Gold Detectors vs Metal Detectors....Information

Dennis

. Two catagories exist in detectors: VLF or Very Low Frequency and PI or Pulse Induction, both types can effectively prospect gold nuggets. VLF detectors descriminate much more effectively the non-target metals, so that less general digging is necessary. PI detectors on the other hand have some advantages over VLF detectors under certain circumstances. PI detectors have increased depth of detection and they are not disturbed by severely mineralized ground. VLF detectors that are designed for Gold nugget detecting have frequency ranges between 6-71 Kilohertz, most are single frequency but a few use multiple frequencies to cater to varying conditions. A high frequency machine like the Fisher Gold Bug 2 at 71 Khz. allows this VLF detector to be very sensitive to tiny gold pieces. A lower frequency machine like the Whites MXT at 14 Khz. will enable potentially greater depth and have substantial power to detect larger nuggets, but not as sesitive to find tiny gold.

PI detectors operate by shooting pulses of energy at time frequencies, the more times per second the more sensitive the machine. Minelab has several model of PI detectors which are used almost exclusively for nugget hunting. The 2100, 2200 and 3500 represent a powerful lineup of gold PI detectors thought by many to be some of the deepest detecting units. The detecting coil varieties for the Australian made Minelabs is truly diverse and the extra large size of these coils is part of the reason for their incredible depth. Large coils are being tested on the Garrett Infinium, a powerful land and water PI detector as well as with the VLF model the MXT. These detectors with 18" coils may come very close to the Minelabs depth and offer water mobility and/or greater discrimination.

With many pieces of equipment the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true, this is especially true with quality gold detectors. Even used, expect to pay at least $250 for a quality gold detector. The detector you buy depends on several factors, the most important being your budget.

The features of the detector are important, for example a manual balanced machine VS. automatic ground balancing. A first time novice should really consider getting an automatic machine because manual balancing takes time and skill to learn and varies from machine to machine (a great source of frustration for beginning detectorists). Technology has changed dramatically over the past ten years and detectors are getting better. Many older models do not compare to the better modern gold detectors.

This article is not intended to push any one brand over another, the truth is that the very best detector in the hands of someone who doesn't know the machine will produce far less gold than an experienced prospector with confidence and only a fair detector on his/her side. All detectors take many hours to master, some machines, however, have a much faster learning curve.

Using price range as starting point. Some of the better and more popular gold detectors in the $200-400 range include the original Lobo, the Goldmaster 3 and 4b, the xt17000 and the original Goldbug to name a few. From $400-600 a great machine can be purchased and some of these include the Goldbug 2, the Lobo ST, the MXT and GMT,  the xt18000 and Eureka Gold. All of the previous machines are quality VLF detectors designed for land use. Always look for the "extra's" you get with the detector.

Any PI detector can be used to try to detect Gold Nuggets, some are designed to be more effective at this task. Gold is a very difficult metal to detect and thus a machine that can pick up gold will really cry out when other metals get under the coil. Trash is the biggest burden of PI machines because many models do not have different tones or discrimination settings to determine a tin can from a nice nugget. The Garrett Infinium has an interesting high-low, low-high pitch system that can give some discrimination. This machine is versatile being able to go underwater, and packs a sticker price far below the minelab PI machines. Minelabs do have some descrimination as well, however, no PI machine will descriminate like a VLF detector. If depth for finding large nuggets is what you want and don't care that you may have passed 60% of the gold bye because it was all small pieces, than a PI detector is your choice. In a nutshell, a VLF detector will find many more gold pieces in a day because most gold that is left in the ground is quite small. If you are in severely mineralized soil or are working tailing piles that go very deep and want to scan 3 feet down then a PI machine is the right choice. No one machine does everything and most hard-core electronic prospectors use different detectors for the different locations and conditions that exist. If the gold is abundant but is in very small pieces then a PI machine would not be very effective. If the ground is full of "hot-rocks" and "cold" patches that throw your VLF into cry-baby mode then it may be better worked by a PI machine

--

Dennis M. O'Connor

February 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi Dennis, 

Thanks for such an interesting subject.... it seems like the PI machine would be great in South African ground, as the soil has lots of minerals in it. A fair amount of stone with iron in it..... Even a magnet gets all covered if you rub it into the ground. Umm onder if it would be possible to make a detector that can be switched between a PI or a VLF.... that would be brilliant....

--

God Bless

Peter

February 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

I have given myself a headache trying to figure out what a good gold machine is. This article cleared that up. Im just looking to for whats on top of the ground. I may pay a little more for a whites MXT or GMT, but I think those would be the machine for me. Good info here.

February 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jimmydetectors

No complaints and no excuse for saying that it is hard to find a ideal site to get the best metal detector, because there is the professional detector supplier detectorall  , you will have the great honor to get the one you need.

July 30, 2012 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Hi Dennis, well you sold me on Fisher last year. I finally broke down and got a F75, old standard. Its used but well cared for. It also is very noisy in town, and I have to keep a constant lookout for high power lines. I dont know how to use it for nugget hunting yet. But it is deeper than I had counted on. There is several fixes for the chatter, but I bought it for out in the wilderness anyway. Even running it at a reduce settings it produces. I know you guys do some group hunts up there where you live. I would like to come up sometime, get a few classes from you old hands. Im considering the AT Pro for my city park hunting as I dont want to loose those hunts due to the sensitivity of the F75. I hope your still here Dennis, I havent seen you post as of late.

I want to thank peter for putting a lot of good information on this site. It goes to the meat of some of my favorite subjects.

August 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]

gold metal detectors are very helpful, it can be used to detect the underground metals and even can help you find the metal goods that you lost easily. and when it find the metal it will give you an indication, which is really amazing.

September 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]

There are many types of detectors in the market, so it is really hard to make a decision which one to buy and whee to buy. I searched the internet for a long time and then I bought a gold metal detector, which is really helpful. And when I do metal detecting outside it can really distinguish what kind of the metal that it has detected and give an indication for me. And by using such kind of device I have saved a lot of time and energy. In a word, I love the gold metal detector and have confidence in it.

September 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karylmatt

Now many people like the gold colour very much and that is the same as that a now more and more people now like hunting for treasures, and unlike before nowadys a many advanced device have been invented to help people with their road of hunting for gold and among varous kind of devices, people like metal detectors best, which have really give them a hand and help them in differnent aspects.

October 31, 2012 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Karylmatt

Now many people like the gold colour very much and that is the same as that a now more and more people now like hunting for treasures, and unlike before nowadys a many advanced device have been invented to help people with their road of hunting for gold and among varous kind of devices, people like gold metal detectors best, which have really give them a hand and help them in differnent aspects.

November 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Now I have several months on the new detector, I can say I like the discrimination the best. Also my fisher alos me to adjust the threshold which is helpful for me. There is a half dozen settings I favor and my hunts are more productive. Some days I can only hunt a hour, but I enjoy them more. Some days I just go to the park and detect, without digging. I can adjust the settings on the fly and see what the limits if the machine is. Most of my hunts are out in the desert, and there isnt much signal out there. The only gold I will find will be int he ofrm or jewlry lost in the park. But I prospect the old fashion way with a pan now. For me to find a nugget, it would have to be very shallow and the size of a BB pellet. Maybe with more practice I could smaller gold. I am truely amazed every time i dig something out of the ground. While the F75 was not my first choice, this article by Dennis dig get me thinking so I recognized a good deal when I saw one.

November 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kingfounds

After using the gold metal detector I found that it is really a good device, it can not only help to save time but also can help you to save energy. And besides being used for looking for gold, the gold metal detectors can alao be used to help the archologist in finding treasures and used in many other important places as security tool.

November 26, 2012 at 3:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kingfounds

First when I started my hobby of metal detecting, I do not know that there is a device called gold metal detector that can help me to have easier access to the gold metal and helps me sava time, then one of my friends told me about this device, I am so curious and want to find a good equippment to help me so I search the internet and find the one that I am satisfied with and by now everything goes on well and I have find some gold coins by using such kind of gold metal detector.

November 26, 2012 at 3:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eloyambres

In your opinion, what can the gold metal detectors help you? In fact, on one hand it can help you to make your road of treasure hunting more fluently and bring you more surprise. Besides on the other hand it can also help people in other fields and aspects. For example by using the gold metal detector the archologist can know the position of the metal items  more clearly so that they wonn't do damaged to teh treasures when they do the digging. And in your daily life if you lost your ring and other metal items. The gold metal detectors can also help you to find it. Really useful, doesn't it?

December 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John

This may be a old article but now with practice I am happy with my choice. Dennis, I was wondering if a PI machine will go deeper through solid rock compared to a vlf machine?

I like to hunt around old mines when I find them and I notice some areas get dont get worked for what ever reason.

I also am not getting depth in highly mineralized soils. Any suggetsions for that Dennis? Thank you advance.

April 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chloebilean

Thanks for sharing. As a beginner of metal detecting, i have always been confused gold metal detector with general metal detals. Really helpful article!

July 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.