Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > My circle of rings in the desert..

John

I did some research and was concerned I had found an old watering hole. But do to the size of the ring, and its position on top of a rise, I quickly discredited that.

I had to use google maps on my phone to find the rings as they are not visable to the eye. You know your on a small ridge in the dirt, but this hole is roughly a football field wide, and covered with mesquite bushes.

I did not drive into the hole as to not disturb anything or give away its position. Before I even hit the outer ring(there is only one ring), I found a pea sized, dark brown pebble, that appeared to be molten almost. It definately stood out. It was exposed and just sitting there. There is no creeks and it being smoot, and that color brought it to my attention.

Its not agate. I did find more rocks that my magnet would stick too. Some showed signs of iron in them, with little white specks of something. I did not dig or detect. I just picked up a handful of rocks around the hole that had signs of other than here.

I dont have any way to really test for nickle. I cant test ofr hardness. I dont believe I wpuld be able to saw one in half either. I may be able to file a flat surface to see if it crumbles like a rock, or polishes like a dense hard piece of iron.

I really need to get the detector out there. Work where I think there is a debris field and Im pretty sure the hole has filled in over the years. I only have one rock that I feel could be a meteroite, its the little brown smooth pebble I found.

If I knew what kind of stone it could be, I would have a better chance at finding a clue. But due the different types of meteorites. I would say I have found a hole at this point, possibly man made. I will post more after my next visit out.

The owner of the property does not get to New Mexico often. I had to go through a second party for permission. Thnaks for the repsonses and help. If anyone knows soomeone I can send a photo to. I would be glad to get some good shots together. I have seen places online of course.

My concern is there is an impact crater untouched and no one knows its there. The bulldozers are getting closer everyday. But there is no immediate threat right now.

December 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi John,

Thanks for the interesting topic..... I think the first thing to do is check and make sure that you do have a meteorite first and that you have not just found some iron ore in a man made hole.

If you can establish that you do have a meteorite, then further study would be great...... There are a couple of meteorite identity sites out there that may be of help..... I will look for the address of the one that I had for you, and post it later.

--

God Bless

Peter

December 21, 2010 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

John, did you see the photo I posted in the photo gallery of the Vredefort dome in South Africa? I posted it with your photo.....

--

God Bless

Peter

December 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi John,

Check out these sites.....

http://geology.com/meteorites/meteorite-identification.shtml

http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

These sites can help you with identifying meteorites....

--

God Bless

Peter

December 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Peter Gill at December 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM

John, did you see the photo I posted in the photo gallery of the Vredefort dome in South Africa? I posted it with your photo.....

That picture of Vredefort dome, motivated me to do the ring site first. I put off a clad hunt and glad I did. After several hours online filling my head with terms I dont know. It appears I could have stumbled acros a stoney meteorite site. A simple but expensive test for nickle could answer the question. I am awaiting a call from the caretaker, but may know the owner. My wonderful wife who is also my good luck charm has introduced me to several movers and shakers in town. Her job puts her in a good position for this as an admin for a realtor. 

Will keep you posted. I have made inquirys for some local help. Usually a picture is enough for an expert to say yes or no on.

I miss my old rock hound books, when I was young I could easily identify most rocks. Memory has slipped over the past 30 years.

December 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Don't worry my brain is also getting fizzled :D

Here are a couple of photo's of my hot rock....

The rock looks a bit golden, but it is brown... just the way the photo took.

--

God Bless

Peter

December 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

You have a stoney it looks like.I did some simple test, but still havent sliced off a piece. Your meteorite is a good example. What I have is fragments, and I most likey found some heavy minerals. I will go out again soon and look for better samples. Then if I still think I have a meteorite, will get the nickle test done.I can say I was excited just to have a rocks that set off my metal detectors and pinpointer. Thanks for the reply. 

December 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.