Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Extracting gold from crushed ore. Back Yard edition.

John

I read about adding Borax to ore bearing gold then heating with a piece of charcol to form a small gold button.  I have not ever did this and this was my major objection in the past to mine gold. Extracting the gold from the ore using mecury is not an option as I wish to do this in my back yard. Can someone recommend a good way to extract ore, and explain the process a little. How crushed does the ore have to be. What could I use for a ceramic dish to melt ore in? Does it matter what kind of charcol I use. How hot does the Torch need to be.  Just the basics safely.

December 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis

The best way is to simply crush the material and then pan it out or use a sluice...heating can create several types of poisonous gasses due to natural substances in the ground, arsenic being the most common...many a back yard smelter has caused serious injury or death due to these gasses being released....home made ore crushers are easy to built, work extrememly well and are the safe method to extract the gold....

--

Dennis M. O'Connor

December 18, 2010 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

I second that Dennis, our mine dumps here in South Africa are full of Cyanide...... John be very careful in this side of the game, very dangerous.....

--

God Bless

Peter

December 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Warning taken. All the near misses in my adventers I dont want to go out that way, or worse, hurt someone else. My brief foundry experience convinced me I did not want to be breathing the fumes, nor having a mistake with molten metal that could burn through you. The videos online did not come with any warning, and made it look so easy. I wonder what the success rate is for the average guy like me who didnt ask the right questions first? Now panning, and sluicing, I like that. Just sweat and tears.

December 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

:D

--

God Bless

Peter

December 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dennis

John, all videos make things look easy...as far as a success rate everything depends on trial and error and time....I have used a gold pan for over 25 years so I am fairly fast compared to someone starting out and probably it looks easy....time and patience is what it is all about....

--

Dennis M. O'Connor

December 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John

Peter Gill at December 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM

:D

After seeing the wheel of gold, the dry dreging and loud motors, the gold pan attached to a vibrator, which was my favorite video, I noticed one thing in common, the people operating these machines really had a look of pain when they got out of thier chairs to adjust the equipment. Now that was funny to me, Plus I can carry a pan about everywhere, and if I dont find gold, I can eat out of it.

Which pan do you prefer, a metal pan, or a plastic pan. I read the plastic pans develope scrathes that help seperate the gold. I only ask as I dont mind spending cash on a good pan.

As for the motors, vibrators and such, Ill pass. I was going to build a 2' sluice. But seen them online for less than $100.00 bucks new. Setting up some tanks to recirculate the water wouldnt be hard. But a pan seems to be the tool.

May I ask if you own any ofthose modern wonders? It makes me wonder if they loose more gold than they find with the motorized stuff.

Im just going to cut a plastic drum in half and do some panning in the yard or where evere I find water.  

December 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.