Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > Cleaning and Restoring Finds. > Cleaning you Finds

Peter Gill
Site Owner

You have found your treasure, but how do you clean your finds? Here is a basic tutorial on cleaning finds using the most basic of items.

"http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/8/17/2944635/My%20Documents/Cleaning%20your%20Finds.pdf"

Great for the beginner who has just started metal detecting / treasure hunting.

--

God Bless

Peter

September 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave and Charlotte Nicholls

Very interesting, Peter!  Thanks for all your input...

September 23, 2010 at 3:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Thanks guys for your contributions.... it is a very basic guide to cleaning, obviously when the items get more expensive or is made of a funny material, then things change. This is a good starter though.

--

God Bless

Peter

September 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Abraham

Great guide. So far I have tried Citric acid for rusty random objects, I was amazed that the object after cleaning had paint-printing on it and the other had some chrome. This would not have been aparent from looking at the original object and scrubbing would have ruined it.

Was a bad idea for brass plated copper half cents though.

April 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

I have used electrolysis for many years and have found t to work extrememly well,,, you just have to keep an eye on things so you do not dissolve the item being cleaned.... Citric acid works well as do all the lemon juices and vinigars,,, Just remember to leave the acid cleaned items in distilled water for a week to nutralise the acid afterwards....

--

God Bless

Peter

April 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John

I use a rock tumbler for mostthings. But some thing like the rusted metal above I use a solar power charger and some baking soda and water.  This is all cool stuff.

March 14, 2014 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Solar powered sounds good John,,,,, maybe something to think about :)

--

God Bless

Peter

March 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.