Peter Gill's Virtual Home

My Virtual Home, My Hobbies.

For the Hobbyist. Metal detecting Forum, Videos and Photo Gallery.

Forums

Forum Home > Metal Detectors & Extras. > Adding a discrimination meter to a detector

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi Guys,

I have a Tesoro Silver Sabre II detector that I would love to be able to add a meter of some sort for discrimination purposes. Does anyone have any ideas as to how this can be done? Any circuit diagrams etc....

--

God Bless

Peter

September 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xavier

Hi Peter

You'll have to be a bit more specificif your detector dose not have discrimination then there is not muchthat you can do I take it that it's a VLF machine. I used threevoltage comparator on mine but it's a home brew machine I can have itin all metal, ferrous or non-ferrous while detecting it's left in allmetal mode when there is a signal I place it in non-ferrous if thesignal is gone I know that it's ferrous but I dig anyway.

Regards Xavier

October 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the reply.... I am using the Tesoro Silver Sabre II detector which does have discrimination and all metal mode...... Just not with a meter. I think it will be better with a discriminator as soemtimes you do not hear a signal but can pick it up on the meter movement, and it is nicer to see a visual of what is in the ground.... If you have any ideas, I will be grateful.

--

God Bless

Peter

October 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xavier

Hi Peter

Let me give you some good advice go to a good hi-fi shop tell them that you need a good pair of headphones for your metal detector and forget the idea of placing a meter on your detector it will not make much if any difference at all.

Regards Xavier

October 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Hi Xavier,

I do have very good headphones, but do not use them that often as most times I am detecting by myself and need to see and hear what is happening around me..... These days are not always safe to be alone in this type of hobby.

My detectors sound is the same for all materials..... does not have a different sound for the different types like some of the detectors do. I just thought that maybe having the meter may help in this regard..... But it is not too serious.

Thanks for the help......

--

God Bless

Peter

October 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xavier

Hi Peter

If you realy want to have a meter have it installed by someone professional don't try to do it your self it is not as easy as you may like to think. Rather place an amplifier using the out put jack and an external speaker .

Regards Xavier

October 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Gill
Site Owner

Umm, I think I must look out for another detector, this time with a meter... then I will have the best of both worlds....... Thanks for the advice, well taken.

--

God Bless

Peter

October 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy Varro

Anyone can recommend some gold metal detectors for beginners?

August 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.